Andy Sheppard Quartet – Beyond the Dancing Sun
11th Nov 2017
The man who has emerged as one of Britain’s foremost tenor and soprano saxophonists was introduced to the music of John Coltrane at the age of 19 and immediately went out and bought his own saxophone. A successful recording artist, bandleader and composer (for film, TV and theatre), Andy Sheppard is one of a very few British jazz artists to have made a significant international impact. He has worked with an astonishing range of musical partners and is remarkably, one of a very few soloists to have played in the big bands of all three of the greatest post-war jazz composers, Carla Bley, George Russell and Gil Evans.
Sheppard’s current performing priorities are:
• A solo programme that can be accompanied by a pre-concert talk.
• Duos with John Parricelli (guitar); Kuljit Bhamra (tabla and percussion); Rita Marcotulli (piano).
• ‘Trio Libero’ with French bassist Michel Benita and UK drummer Sebastian Rochford.
• ‘Hotel Bristol’ with Denny Ilett (guitar), Percy Pursglove (bass) and Dylan Howe (drums).
• The ever-popular Saxophone Massive– a fanfare for massed saxophone choir consisting of players of all ages and abilities.
Full list of upcoming events: serious.org.uk/andysheppard